Wednesday, January 27, 2016

First Day: Check!





Our first day is finished, and I am just how I thought I would be, overwhelmed! But, following my past post advice, I am taking it all in and will keep going. My mom's advice on every first day of school was, "Be like a sponge, take it all in." So of course, I did just that. Listened to everything, and let all details, small and big, seep in. Unfortunately, I still felt lost when I sat down in my dorm trying to process it all. 

Most first days go the same, syllabus, rules, expectations, and outcomes, but not in this course! On the first day we went right into learning, which I enjoyed! We started out with a "What's in the bag?" mystery game. Unknowingly we began using the scientific method to try and guess what was in the bag. Each student was given a chance to hold the bag and then make an inquiry of what could be a possible item in the bag. I think it was a very fun way of introducing a new topic to the class, and this is definitely something I will keep in mind for my future class.

Science and I have always had a love/hate relationship. Loved it in elementary school because of the hands on activities, hated it in middle school due to the courses I were required to take, and loved it in the later years of high school due to the fact that I was able to choose the course I took. Videos like the below one are the parts of science I love, and find so interesting! Its not something you can read in a textbook, its the hands on activities that I believe can help students learn.


My goal is to learn to love science, and become a better teacher of science! I want to become much more technically advance, and I know I will do so in this course.

2 comments:

  1. I love the video on science tricks for students! this will make the classroom fun and invented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the same video. Huh.

    Like you I loved science in elementary school, but it got less and less fun as I got older. I think that's why it's so key that it is fun i elementary school. I think if the passion is lit for students then that flame won't go out because of a few bad experiences.

    ReplyDelete